"ohmygosh, i would never be able to hold a hairstyle in this city!" -katy on her windy city locks.
she found him wandering around her neighborhood midnight last week. he was with a group of his friends by the old sledhill and she was driving back from having ice cream with one of her closest friends. "do his friends live around here?" i asked her, searching for justification of his late night appearence. she just shook her head and left the house via garage. she has a new boyfriend now & there was no shred of wonder. clearly i was the one left with questions.
"the worst part about it," another friend writes me last night. "is that here i am with heartbreak all over and he doesnt even seem to care that we broke up. why am i in so much pain when he doesnt even care?" ohman, i think as i am writing her back. i have no answers or suggestions to something i have mulled over in my own time. "i can only offer empathy," i write back. i feel like it is a weak reply. "but a barbeque saturday sounds great."
i am lying on jamine's blanket looking at the stars. i am wedged between jamine & chris. our cozy camp is set at the farthest corner of ravinia. we only hear speakers and frequencies from our evening performer now. "so many dippers," i sigh about the sky- making up my own constellations as we blindly point and observe. ian, wedged on the other side of chris, misunderstands my comment and we are laughing. i remember melissa and my "smashed fish face" constellation & i am brought back to the sled hill where it was born.
there is a small group of boys wandering around a location that holds no meaning for any of them but one. they are climbing the sledhill and the motion lights of neighboring houses transform the boys's images into familiar silhouttes and shadows. she can identify them from the road as she passes & she will tell someone about it tomorrow. & with each tomorrow i know you will feel better too. see you at the barbeque
"And the best {blessings} were the ones I got to keep as I grew strong,
And the days that opened up until my whole life could belong,
And now I'm getting the answers, when I don't need them anymore,
I'm finding the pictures, and I finally know what I kept them for,
I remember, I can see them, see them smiling, see them stuck,
See them try, I wish them luck and all the blessings." - dar williams
No comments:
Post a Comment