Monday, August 30

Moving 1

It is in these moments of upheaval, painful separation, and uncertainty that we become most alive.

Just about every person I love will be in Chicago this fall. Yes there are a few exceptions for those dancing along the horizons of New York City, Boston, Cincinatti, or Houston but overall almost everyone else is in the same city. I will go so far as to say they will be within ten miles of each other by December. And where will I be toiling? Far north. I am excited about this move- I know no one and no one knows me. A blank slate. Perhaps, I reason, if I cannot meet anyone I will just mole up for the next two years & study & write. I can embrace my own journal of solitude and socialize when I come back down south. But I am so comfortable in my current routine. I value my Sundays that are usually filled from 9 a.m. to midnight with the same amazing group of wandering/sailing/barbequing friends & boyfriend. I have been so happy to reunite with Melissa after four & a half years of being only a voice on the other end of my phone. I adore laying with Elizabeth on her fouton as she quotes her father on politics & his boycott against heinz. I am inspired by Emily who makes up her own flattering adjectives that assures beauty in everything she must see. I am very sad to leave this nitch I have carved out in the last three years. Isaac Newton compiled pieces of his Philosophiae Naturalis Principa Mathematica based on the notion that all masses pull other masses & that the stregnth of this pull grows weaker with distance. I honestly do not know all that is behind this theory but the passage evokes the image of leaving a place you love and fearing what effects distance will have on separation. Will friendships and sense of place weaken with distance? I feel like I should already know the answer but in moments of total insecurity I do not. In the meantime I am preparing to draw from my well of energy & outgoing-ness that I have learned from Molly or Jen. I hope to add the twin cities another place that I have lived and loved.

No comments: