Sunday, October 17

Airports & Kenny Chesney fams

Friday night I traveled from one overcast city to another. My fear of flying translated into a conversation with a diehard Kenny Chesney fan. "You're sweet," she told me as I pressed my nose against the window glass, starving for the Chicago city lights to pass under us before landing. I counted the tall buildings and found Megan at the northern-est peak.

You picked me up from the airport with a thermos of hot chocolate. "You remembered!" I exclaimed cheerfully. "You wrote it on your website," you responded. We headed for Springfield, turning over our keys for a desperate, fitting hug. I was at the wedding the next morning- a near miss & another hour south got us there. A beautiful day for a wedding, I wrote in the card. The sky was incredibly clear. I suddenly found myself surrounded by friendly, familiar faces: Edith behind the wheel of her suped up racing beetle, Jenny with her secret pink petticoat (me wearing mine), & the camping crowd showered and beautiful.

Leaving a place for the second time can sometimes be harder than the first time. A saddness stronger than the first passed through my body as we returned home from St Louis Saturday night. But you will be here next weekend, you promised- ready to celebrate our two year aniversary. You dropped me off at home so that I could take a hot shower and crawl under the covers while you picked up The Sopranos and an enchilada dinner. We all need our rock support sometimes more than we even realize.

No comments: