Saturday, December 4

This morning I stepped out of my apartment into a world of Charles Dickens. A reindeer greeted me at the stoplight on my walk to my favorite bookstore. From that moment on I was transformed into an outsider longingly observing festivities beyond my comprehension & ability. Men and women dressed in full Great Expectations attire (top hats, chops, trenchcoats, hoop skirts & beyond) wandered the streets distributing pins & presents to random people, men dressed in musical antlers grilled delicious smelling meats for children, and an old fashioned fire truck whizzed by with waving and holiday ecstatic people. There were horses everywhere and elves, children, lovers, parents, Christmas trees, and people in red capes. I felt ordinary with my yellow bookbag, boring but warm columbia jacket, and tissues for my schnoz in my mittened hand. I wonder if it is truly the "Minnesota character" that brings people out into the streets every weekend to celebrate, love, and give. Whatever it is, it moves me a little each time I am a witness. Between the marathon, coffee shop observations, and festivities, I am recording it all. Wondering if I have it in me to ever capture such a spirit and be able to celebrate with complete love and altruism.

No comments: