After twenty long hours of driving we found ourselves rolling into the gravel driveway of Pike's Peak around midnight. I cranked "Float On" to encourage any spirit within us and we sang vigorously up the mountain. We sang until the lead van of the convoy hit a patch of ice on the pass and three cars came to a grinding halt. A curve around a sharp bend was too slick to allow us up the mountain. Slipping backwards would mean slipping off the cliff. I sat facing the tops of trees and stared into a dark abyss that would become our fate if my truck rolled four feet backward. My imagination played out several disasterous scenerios and none of them involved floating on. Within forty five minutes a massive four wheel drive truck pulled us all up the mountain with a strap that (later told) kept breaking.
I am pleased to report my patella is intact after two days of skiing, one hike up a mountain, one tense drive home in blizardly conditions, and one game of intoxicating yet pathetically lost foosball.
No comments:
Post a Comment