Friday, February 24

Glitter saves. Amen.

I turned twenty-five today and I started my day with a cup of earl grey tea courtesy of Annette and . . . glitter! What I have learned today is that even when I am seventy, eighty, and ninety, yes indeed, I will still find fabulous joy in glitter. Three classmates and I have been playing therapist at an adult day care center in Minneapolis for the last three weeks. There I have met fifteen gorgeous souls- their ages range from sixties to eighties- and us twenty-somethings have been swallowing their life stories like water (or for Wayne, coffee).

The goal of the project was to enhance this group of men and women's life within a chosen domain. We chose the domain of individuality, exploring each individual's past, present, and who they are within the context of the group on this sunny, chilly February morning. It was really amazing to hear their stories about being one of the first competitive women basketball players or fishing trips in Florida.

Today, our last project was creating a collage of the self. Pictures were brought in a magazines were torn apart. We glued, pasted, designed ourselves on a 5 by 7 piece of colorful foam. But the real gem, what got everyone clapping and smiling, was the final touch of glitter. Glitter was abundant and we could not get enough of it. Even the men called for more glitter to be added here and there. As we placed all the projects on the back table to dry, it was as if we were sitting before a glittery city of colors and faces. I am so glad that as I age, I will always find pleasure in small sparkles.

No comments: