Tuesday, April 4

Lisa & I joined Megan today in her search for a sparkly wedding ring. Call it procrastination, call it my way to live vicariously through Megan's enthusiasm, call it a celebration for finishing a tough test this morning. We packed up our gear and headed out to slide our fingers into what America's women supposedly have their hearts set on since the womb. Megan, sputtering off names of prefered diamond cuts & band widths, was way ahead of Lisa and I who became overwhelmed under the twinkling lights of the jewelry shop.

Today's ring fashion seems to be a contemporary setting with the diamond that hover's gently above the band. You can view it's triangular tip from the side and Lisa's gasp at first sight only said one word: "Sold".
"Don't you think it looks like it might fall out of it's setting easier like that?" I pondered aloud. Lisa pulled and twisted the diamond until we realized this would probably not look good to the kind woman who discouraged our prior attempt to take pictures of the event. Playing the Mom role, I carried Megan's jacket around the store for her and convinced her to select a variety of rings to place on a wish list so that Ryan can eventually choose one.

The woman at the store was kind enough to allow me to explore diamonds using the magnifying glass and we got a quick lesson in geography to which I successfully passed (enthusiastically spotting that little black dot). I named each ring that we pulled out- the SanFran bridge, the ladybug, the one with a cavity- until I am sure Megan was ready to scream. At least if I end up going back to the store with Ryan I will have my own framework and terminology for what we are looking for.

No comments: