Happy New Year to all who are still living large after a 365 day turnover that, it appears, almost everyone was happy to see. Facebook is loaded with everyone's New Year experience and it seems to confront me with a So where were YOU every time I log on. Ben and I were fortunate enough to ring in the New Year with a few loverly friends, a couple of good giggles, and perfectly fitting tiaras. (Ben, Pat, and John rejected the tiara but Kelly, Kate, Hillary, and I loved them nonetheless.)
I love the morning of New Years day more than any other morning on the calendar year. The roads are empty and the only people that are out and about are giddy runners. My father-in-law and I ran a 5K and we exchanged smiles with every person that passed by. It was one of those magical moments that you only really observe in Christmas-based movies created before 1960. Or 2002 Elf. (That's for you, Kelly) Afterward, my mother in law spread out a breakfast of raisin walnut stuffed french toast, blueberry syrup, and bacon. It was delicious.
Since then, I have continued to wrestle with a nasty cold for the third time this season. Of course, this does occasionally inspire coziness. After coming home from work on Friday and feeling like death, Ben and I engaged in a true slumber party affair last night. I baked a dish of chocolate cream cheese brownies, literally pulled them out of the oven and plunked them down into the middle of a bed full of fleece and feather comforters to cozy up into. The next few hours were spent eating these brownies from under the covers while watching Netflicks and marveling at the suprising sexual undertones of Family Ties. Ben and I are left gaping open mouthed with each scandelous episode of what we both remembered as an incredibly wholesome television show from our childhood. After some research, I've learned that we aren't the only ones whose nostalgia has been rocked.What's next? I will find out Punky Brewster was just one big analogy for backlash againts the Cold War?
1 comment:
elf is already a classic. there was a marathon on new years day! we watched it (only once).
Post a Comment