Friday, March 12

Weed and feed time!



Who knew that I would be so excited top hear a radio advertisement for Scott's Turf Weed and Feed this morning? I almost had to pull my car over to the side of the road so that I could contain the excitement of the fact that spring is almost here! And it is, indeed, almost here: Gardening 2010!

Last fall I planted over fifty-some bulbs as well as a few new lilacs, hydrangeas, and a million wildflowers that burst with colors of purples, peaches, and whites. I cannot wait to see what comes back- in what form, scent, and color. In what patterns and zeal. My gardening journal- yes, let me repeat my gardening journal- I sketched what I had planted so that I have an idea of what to expect. A friend suggested that I don't open this journal as I can be surprised all over again by what I have planted. We'll see if I make it.

As I was pondering my excitement, I realized that there is one truly therapeutic thing about gardening for me: gardening makes me look forward. Everything I do in gardening is for the present and future only. I do not (simply cannot!) garden in the past or for the past. It's impossible. There is no time, desire, or reason for nostalgia in planting flowers, vegetables, and trees. They only get better and larger with time. I only become more experienced and stronger. Gardening makes me look ahead at what is to come with great anticipation.

In a cheesy little way, I wonder if gardening helped my brain catapult it's view on life from looking backward to forward. Here I am now at twenty-nine and all I can see is now and the future- it is exciting, beautiful, messy, and holds much anticipation.

2 comments:

elleau said...

you make me want to garden.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenny,
You have a rose of sharon sitting here for the taking!
Agnes