Keeping short accounts.
I have always been fortunate to have a word muse in my life. Someone who I have to carry a journal with me when I am around them because they share such insightful thoughts or spread colorful images before me that have to be recorded. These people have such a special place in both my life and writing.
Joan is a lively woman in my bible study who I met a little over a year ago. She has faith and humor which makes it an absolute blessing to spend time with her every week. In our little informal bible study group we are studying prayer. "I try to keep short accounts" Joan shared with our group. We need to ask for forgiveness for our crazy sins before the day is over. All those little things we have done during the day that wreck another or ourselves need to be resolved before the day's end because we have no idea what the next day will bring. Brilliant, I thought, and so in my attempt to communicate daily with God, I am also trying to recognize all the little nasty monsters that spawn from me during the day. Yuck. They creep everywhere and are so sticky and unrelenting.
But I think keeping "short accounts" can be applied in so many more areas of my life. To not allow anger or bitterness to linger as I usually do (I guess that is considered sin but sin is such a funny, awkward word to use). To move away from those things that I wont quite forgive myself for even though everyone else involved has moved on and forgiven. To sum up and resolve those nasty monsters before I let another day continue. Life is so short. It can be so gorgeous and it can be so horrific. I have no idea what is coming tomorrow or if it even plans on meeting me. I work with people who never imagined they would wake up one day in the position they have found themselves in and yet, they persevere and move me daily. But if I keep short accounts, maybe all my baggage and extra gnarley monsters wont follow me into the next day. And then the next.
Cozy Friday evening:
Listening to Adele Pandora radio station per recommendation of Kelly with a yummy batch of guacamole and delicious Liberty Ale.
1 comment:
Sticky little monsters. I love this personification of sin into little nasty spawns. I also like this idea if short accounts. That's how I remember praying as a kid. Now I feel like I focus on huge issues that never seem to be resolved and forget to seek forgiveness for all the nasty monsters that spawn from me. Thanks for the reminder Jenny. Your words make me happy.
Post a Comment