Thursday, September 8

Bread ladies love lemon zest





Photograph: Ben in Garden of Edith at Sunset
She doesn't trust the temperature gauge that registers on either the oven or the free standing thermometer. Instead she sits on a stool directly in front of the oven window and peers at the rising scones. She is sitting on her stool sometime near ten pm with a wine glass of sparkling something. "It's the Challa bread that is the most fun to watch," she tells me. "It doubles in size and twists over itself. I can't really be the official town "bread lady" if I'm not connected to the bread I make."  She sent us home- after we took the telescope out to the field to marvel at the craters on the moon waxing moon- with fresh cranberry scones. "It's the lemon zest that will get you," she says as our pupils painfully constrict after coming inside from night sky gazing. "They just don't do the fresh lemon zest at Starbucks, you know? That's the difference between the bread lady and a major chain."

And indeed, my perfect scone was delicious this morning.


Big news: twosmallmonsters will be retiring tonight. Too many stories making it take forever to load, too many broken links, and project ideas that fell flat with their little failure haunting me. The beauty of websites (that cannot be replicated in life and thus should be taken advantage of!) is that you can always start anew. I fought this notion over the last three years with the belief that I should struggle through the hard, messy times of a website just like you do in life. But then, life is exhausting enough so f*ck it.


So without further adeu:


https://astringofstories.blogspot.com



Goodbye my love, www.twosmallmonsters.com. You have played a huge, beautiful, part of my life. Thank you for following and please join me in a new stage of life. 

*I apologize to my mother and Agnes for my strong language :o) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jenny!
You don't need to apologize! Strong language is sometimes effective in writing your thoughts!
Will look forward to the new String of Stories!
Love ya,
Agnes