Sunday, October 3
the marathon
The twin cities marathon passed by my apartment this morning. I awoke to voices shouting "You look good!" and "Keep it up!". I tried to believe that people were shouting this to me as I moved sleepily around the apartment. I felt encouraged. A few O.T. classmates as well as Neil & Luke were participating in the marathon. Last night I joined Neil & Luke's carb-countdown to the marathon where we ate bowls and bowls of pasta, bread, and eventually yummy chocolate malts. Once I was awake this morning I joined the crowds downstairs. I watched the first half of the runners parade through my intersection with pink quads & eyes ahead. And although I found the runner's quite inspiring (they had completed over 20 miles by the time I saw them), I found the crowd even more inspiring. I had listened to a woman 55+ with yellow hair and a maroon sweater from the moment I woke up: she was the one shouting "you look good!". She had been there from the beginning and she tried to individually encourage each runner that passed. For three hours straight she affirmed each runner's abilities & courage. She was amazing. Girls across from me jumped & shouted & clapped continuously. I watched runners pick up their speed as they passed these energetic balls of transmission & encouragement. I want to be the woman in the maroon sweater or the girls bouncing with pure kinetic energy. But for now I clapped. & clapped. Good job runners & their fantastic support teams.
No comments:
Post a Comment