Thursday, June 16

How Hungry we are

GOD: I own you like I own the caves.
THE OCEAN: Not a chance. No comparison.
GOD: I made you. I could tame you.
THE OCEAN: At one time, maybe. But not now.
GOD: I will come to you, freeze you, break you.
THE OCEAN: I will spread myself like wings. I am a billion tiny feathers. You have no idea what's happened to me.

I am reading Dave Egger's How We are Hungry on the Burlington train (quoted above). I have not been to the heart of the city since summer last year. There is a point on the train when there are no more stops and we just roll through the lonesome train yard. At this time I like to look at people's porches that belly up to the tracks and watch tiny points of buildings become huge and consuming. I glance at my watch and then look out at the city still seeming miles & miles away. I am meeting Stefanie somewhere between the Sears tower and watertower. I am scheduled to be there in twenty minutes. And although I percieve myself to be so farway, I will make it on time. I already see myself there.

No comments: