I believe this is the first Christmas since highschool that has excited me. Usually I feel withdrawn upon the Thanksgiving-Christmas stretch & a predictable saddness catches up to me exactly Christmas Eve after dinner. Ghosts of the Aunties visit me & I want to hear them chattering in the kitchen or above my cousin and I. (They think by speaking Polish we wont know what they are saying but the twinkle in each of their eyes tells us everything and we blush) I don't know if this year's inner festivity began this August when I began collecting treasures for the two people who mean the most to me or if it is the love I feel for everyone around me right now.
Today it is the most beautiful winter day. The air is still and although there is snow on the ground, I can drive with my windows wide open. I am surrounded by White Sox and Bears sweatshirts in a little city that I have learned to appreciate through the history of seven generations of my family. Across Washington I see Marius & we are waving madly at one another as John bops along with photographs from his six month stay in China. It is the perfect afternoon to realize that I am happy about the pile of wrapped presents I have collected for Ben & my Mom throughout the year. I want to give and give and give and give. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment