Thursday, January 19

"Not one death but many,
not accumulation but change, the feedback
proves, the feed-back is the law
Into the same river no man steps twice
When a fire dies air dies
no one remains, nor is, one
around an appearance, one common model.
we grow up
many. Else how is it,
if we remain the same,
we take pleasure now
in what we did not take pleasure before?
love contrary objects? ....

Is change, presents
no more than itself
and the too strong grasping of it
when it is pressed together and condensed
loses it

this very thing you are
in the animal and
or the machine the factors are”
-Excerpt from Charles Olson, The Kingfishers

The landscape blurs from bare wet land to snowy upstate in one tank of gas. I am thinking- have thought- more than I would have wished these last few weeks. My mind runs parallel to that of my treadmill whose steady, quick rhythm works legs, butt, and thighs. I am going on sixty minutes of running and I still have miles to go before catching up with my brain. No one ever said I had to keep eveything, everyone together & compiled neatly under the bed. So I released a hundred pages of history before weighing down the back of my truck with one hundred pounds of sand. It is back in the drafty blue bedroom that I can finally sleep through the whole night beside my furmonster snoring softly.

No comments: