Tuesday, January 20

Welcome Obama

"In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never a given. It must be earned. Our journey has never been one of shortcuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted — for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things — some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom." -President Obama, Inauguration Address

I could not have been in a better place to witness & experience today's thrilling, historical event of 2009 inauguration. I think I would choose sitting on a mat with a lovely patient and my girls rather than a front row seat in D.C. (although I'm sure that was amazing too). I was, of course, at work with ladies that have blogged, followed, and championed this election since spring 2008. The giddiness resided with us all morning long with excitement crescendo-ing from the moment Debbie pulled out a five inch screen portable black and white television set and plopped it right in the middle of therapy to the moment where Monika, hand clutching a tissue to dab her wet eyes, and I stood with our noses inches away from this little black and white screen captivated. It was a special day like New Years or Forth of July. NPR was blaring in the gym and our one computer that we can stream was playing slowly but albeit streaming in the speech.

"This is so weird," I said.
"This event?" Monika asked, eyes fixed on a little Obama talking head.
"Not quite. More the fact that we are sitting here inches away from the television in the millenium watching a historical event in black and white. I feel like we are the nineteen fifties meets the juxtaposition of millenium historical change. It's a beautiful, strange moment."
"It's amazing."

If I was President- Wyclef Jean

1 comment: