Tuesday, May 12

Three small things to smile about

Three small things that made me smile

1. I am standing at the check out register of Target with an incredibly sweet patient of mine. We have just completed my grocery shopping and I am adoring how well she did considering all the areas we have been working on in therapy. She is one of those people who is a lovely soul- she praises Jesus with every completed repetition of arm curls, provides a warm hello to all the timid patients, and laughs easily. She is, in short, adorable. She is unloading the yogurt containers from our cart when we are talking about the difficulties of having a traumatic brain injury.

She tells me: "I allowed one day for a pity party and then I said to myself I gotta do something about this. I pray to Jesus and he is so good. So good. And I am living his word. I am reminded that faith without trial is dead. Faith without trial is dead." Wow. It's possible I teared up. Maybe.

2. On my gardening extravaganza two weekends ago I met a neighbor from three doors down. Herb is a retired minister and probably in his seventies. He found me sitting in the middle of a patch of dandelions and commented on my dedication for plucking each one out of the soil. I think it was also starting to rain and he noted dedication (or craziness) for that too. He also asked if Ben and I minded if he tossed a few old cement bricks in our dumpster. Of course we didn't mind so he disposed of a few bricks and disappeared.

This past weekend I walked out my front door and stumbled upon a beautiful perennial plant potted perfectly for transplant. Next to the plant was a hand written note with the plant's name, a little fun fact about the plant, and its specifications from Herb. I immediately planted it and returned inside. An hour later I stepped outside and found another plant and another handwritten note. I planted it with joy and the pattern continued a few more times throughout the day. I felt like I had an amazing secret admirer who knew how to make me weak in the knees.

3. I found out that Ben is "the man" of the neighborhood. His work on our house has been the talk of the hood, apparently, and per Ramon, everyone kinda has a thing for Ben. Guess I better keep a close eye on him. :o)

I am so happy the trees are green in Chicago.

No comments: