Ben and I went to see The Doves this weekend. I knew them because Ben is a big fan. It was incredibly enjoyable to hear them!
Tuesday, June 2
Jackie
It must have been good fortune that Wendy and I landed in the center of a small crowd of children. All the other seats in the auditorium were taken and so we found ourselves sitting criss cross style on the magic rug where all the children sat for a dance performance we attended last Saturday evening. As the lights grew dim we realized we had the best seat in the house- not because it was the very front but- because all the energy & movement was right where we were with the small ones. The dance recital was put on by a friend of ours who is getting her master's degree in dance. The evening was full of colorful paper lanterns strewn about a small, old church tucked away on the south side of Evanston. There was live music by Dan (the most amazing drummer ever) and other orchestra instruments resembling bluegrass roots, paintings, poetry, and (of course) dancing that energized the small children surrounding Wendy and I. Somewhere in the middle of the dance, the audience made a rainstorm- snapping, clapping, and pounding thunder through our feet. The children went wild with rainy-ness and their enthusiasm for the evening swelled the entire room. At the end of the dance, we were encouraged to join and dance among everyone. Wendy and I were suddenly alone on the magic carpet as we sat watching the twirling white dresses and little white suits move across the floor.
Ben and I went to see The Doves this weekend. I knew them because Ben is a big fan. It was incredibly enjoyable to hear them!
Ben and I went to see The Doves this weekend. I knew them because Ben is a big fan. It was incredibly enjoyable to hear them!
No comments:
Post a Comment