Wednesday, November 24

I have been so excited for a Thanksgiving break- to land my feet in Chicago & have enough time to keep a whirlwind of social and physical elements under control and take it slow. To sleep with my bunnycat, shop with Jan, visit with Melissa, & dine at my favorite creperie on Clark with Ben. Yet as I was leaving class yesterday I couldn't help but completely be in love with my little Minnesota life as well. It consists of less than 40 people but I eat/ sleep/ breath with these people as though we are a family living in one [cold] room.
I am so excited to be with a batch of people who are so diverse but have a single, dominant passion in life: to be an instrument in helping people physically, emotionally, and/or mentally. Everyone knows that I am flying home tonight. Everyone also knows about my apprehension about defying gravity & they all tell me to stay strong- wishing me luck as I am on my way out. The three boys with IPODs in the back of the class discuss their passions for Metallica and are forever always whistling the beginning of a Scorpian song. Maime is sitting at her desk wrapped up in a scarf, hat, and gloves since it is always quite chilly in the room but she is also the first to roll up her sleeves in cadaver lab. Brady's mind travels to bass fishing at least once a day and Megan drinks her Target fruit juice at lunch. Tracy is anticipating Taco Tuesdays and Annette's eyes light up at the possibility of constructing her thesis around sign language.
I am excited to be home in Chicago but it is immeasurably wonderful to be also excited to return to a place that I am growing to love. I know next Monday I can expect the same routine & be able to enjoy it, even as we kick it in to final papers and exams.

No comments: