I have always found mismatched pairs endearing. I would like to think that my love goes further than combining just dots & stripes (which I also enjoy). Rather, I am talking about the juxtaposition of what I certainly did not anticipate. The financing major, Phil, in our class of grass root socialists arguing about the quality of life at the end of life. Or the team of Christian leaders who are as gritty and rough as Hell's angels on their motorcycles & are dressed in leather. I love the extreme of both worlds coming together to add texture to life.
So here I am behind a stack of ::gasp:: Martha Stewart wedding magazines. "I am reading wedding media, not bride magazines," I justify to Megan. She smiles to herself and must think I am eating my words when last month I swore left and right that I would never read a bride magazine. And here's why: I disagree with all the shoulds that are involved with a wedding & being engaged. The minute the proposal takes place, politics and family battles knocked on my door. People who rarely had opinions in the past now have their own soap boxes. And while I appreciate most people's input and enthusiasm, I can't help but cringe at the words: So what is going on with the wedding? by others.
I couldn't be anywhere without the support of Ben & my friends throughout this whirlwind. Megan is my Appropriate Emotional Response Team who is giddy & playful as we squeeze through endless racks of wedding dresses. We feel accomplished when I find and purchase a dress within the first hour of dress shopping. Stef gets right to the heart of who I am by plopping a Budget Living feature article about a creative wedding reception. Close family friends of Ben's offer to be the photographer, caterer, & even the pastor. The basics are settled within a two weeks time and we are left with the fun stuff: the details!
The thing is, I don't want things to match & just be pretty. Rather, I want a variety of colors, textures, & concepts. Bluegrass or jazz bands? Casual dress or bridal dress? Incorporation of sketching or poetry? Outdoors under the trees or outdoors in a gazebo? The beauty is, I don't think it quite matters. Throughout this whirlwind process I have been reminding myself of what is most important: Ben & our relationship. As long as I have Ben, trees with paper lanterns, & lots of color, I don't think I will be able to ask for anything more perfect (but another glass of that sparkling pink lemonade, please!).
No comments:
Post a Comment